Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Easy Fajitas

I really love fajitas. I don't necessarily enjoy standing over a stove to prepare them. I know they aren't THAT hard to make but Everyday Food magazine has made it even easier. Here's the recipe from March 2008 edition:

Fast Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4

1 1/2 lbs chicken cutlets
2 TB vegetable oil
1 tea chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, halved & thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
8 flour tortillas (6-inch)
fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream, for serving
lime wedges, for serving

1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Arrange chicken on a rimmed baking sheet lined w/ foil; rub w/ 1 TB oil. Sprinkle w/ chili powder, and season with salt and pepper. Broil, w/out turning, until chicken is opaque throughout, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside.

2. On another rimmed backing sheet lined with foil, toss peppers, onion, garlic, and remaining tablespoon oil; season w/ salt and pepper. Broil, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender and slightly charred, 6 to 8 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, thinly slice chicken crosswise. Stack and wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel; microwave on high until warm, about 1 minute. Transfer chicken and pepper mixture to a platter, and serve with tortillas, cilantro, sour cream, and lime wedges.

I may make this for dinner tonight. I think the baby is craving Mexican. YUM! :)

2 comments:

Candace said...

Leah, those sound yummy! Did you fix them then? I like the recipe because for some reason I don't care for fajitas where everything is sautéed in a frying pan - something about the peppers that gives me the hee-bee-jee-bees (is that a word?). Anywho, next time Zac requests fajitas I will come here for this recipe.

Leah said...

I actually did not make these. Tim asked that I pick something up for dinner last night.

Our kitchen is kind of a mess right now. We're in the process of painting and rearranging (getting rid of junk) the cabinets.

Back to the recipe: I don't like how everything gets soupy when it's all sauteed in a pan. Also, the spices are simple. I usually would buy the fajita mix. I'm sure it's loaded w/ sodium.