Friday, March 30, 2007

Nip it in the Bud

Is it Friday already? I have been avoiding Rachel's laundry/clothes situation for a good solid week now. She has clothes in just about every room in our house. I need to get rid of these "Hot Spots" as the FlyLady would call them. Our guest room is spotted with mounds of her clothes. Clothes she's grown out of, winter clothes and folded laundry that needs to be put away. Also, it has laundry the needs to be done. I sort her laundry in there while she takes a nap.

Rachel has hardly any clothes in her closet (they're all winter clothes anyway) and I find myself foraging around her room and the guest room to make an outfit. I, obviously, need a better system and to stop procrastinating. I'm so much happier when I'm organized. I hope this quote will give me some motivation...

“No unwelcome tasks become any the less unwelcome by putting them off till tomorrow. It is only when they are behind us and done, that we begin to find that there is a sweetness to be tasted afterwards, and that the remembrance of unwelcome duties unhesitatingly done is welcome and pleasant. Accomplished, they are full of blessing, and there is a smile on their faces as they leave us. Undone, they stand threatening and disturbing our tranquility, and hindering our communion with God. If there be lying before you any bit of work from which you shrink, go straight up to it, and do it at once. The only way to get rid of it is to do it.”
-Alexander MacLaren

8 comments:

Candace said...

Good post Leah, I feel the same way. Last night I finally printed out some charts to help me organize my time better and 'get 'er done', as they say.

Leah said...

Yeah, maybe you can show me an example of your chart. The thing is, when I start a "system" I rarely ever follow through with it.

Candace said...

I actually got them here

Anonymous said...

Leah, so glad you mentioned the "Fly Lady" I heard about her at a MOPS group. Every since then (probably 2 years ago) I always strive to have a shiny sink (I think she calls it a gem) so the rest of the house may be a mess..but I can look at my sink and relax. Matt,however, has to deal with my "freak out" moments when he leaves dishes in the sink! :)
And I completely understand your laundry dilemma. I like to do a marathon at a laundromat every-so-often.

Candace said...

I was thinking today about schedules, and I am rarely successful either, and I think I figured out a better way for folks like us. It usually requires waking up before the children though (I can't really focus when they are awake). Instead of scheduling hour by hour, just think of a chore or two that you have to get done by noon. Or if there is something fun you want to do, don't allow yourself to do it until said chore is finished. While you are doing chores, chances are you will happen upon other projects you can do to organize or clean. Write them down and save them for another day,for the afternoon, or after Rachel's bedtime.

Leah said...

Yay! I have comments! Thank you for taking time to do so.
I think one of the hardest things, for me anyway, is to get motivated. I've read in many places how just getting dressed and putting your shoes on helps. I can attest to this method. Not sure what magic works there but it does.

Liz, I'm kind of the same way. I love to have dishes out of the sink and the counters wiped down.

Candace said...

Sounds kind of cliche'ish, but you know what motivates me most . . . meditating on Proverbs 31 and Titus 2.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm...didn't know about this blog! Remember the first rule of blogging: never to write anything you wouldn't want your mother to read! :) (You know I love you!)